Friday, February 12, 2010

Berry Coffee Cake: Easy, and delicious cake to start your day!

 

Coffee cake is very easy to eat, and well, very easy to make too. Because one of my sisters really love to eat coffee cake and that's the reason why I love to make it too.

So as a recipe tester ( haha, I already promote myself, ^ ^), I have to choose one recipe to try, and the coffee cake is one after I told my sister to make a decision between this recipe and the Berry Kuchen. Actually I didn't have to ask her because I already know the answer.
And I'm glad to make it, the cake is very good, not too sweet and moist (I think the streusel is too sweet for some people but I like it, taste like a oatmeal cookie). When I eat this cake, I like to eat the streusel and the berry first, then finish the rest of the cake.
The method of making this cake is like the way you make the muffin (or other quick bread), so it's very easy and very quickly to make too. So, if you want to have a freshly baked coffee cake in the morning, just prepare everything at night, like the streusel, the flour part, and the wet part, then mix all of the ingredients in the morning and put then in the oven. After 35-40 minutes your house will full of sweet and homey fragrance of this coffee cake. Imagine it, your morning will be great and your whole family will be happy very  too.



 

Berry Coffee Cake
Makes one 8x8-inch square pan

  

STREUSEL
60g ............................ cold unsalted butter
50g ............................ granulated sugar
100g .......................... light brown sugar
35g ............................ all-purpose flour
40g ............................ rolled oats
.................................. a pinch of salt

COFFEE CAKE
210g .......................... all-purpose flour
75g ............................ granulated sugar
1½ tsp ....................... baking powder
½ tsp ......................... salt
2 ................................ eggs
85g ............................ unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
½ tsp ......................... vanilla extract
170g .......................... sour cream
250g .......................... Fresh or frozen berry



Prepare to bake.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 8 by 8-inch baking pan.

Make the streusel.

  

Dice the butter into to ½-inch cubes, then combine it with the granulated and brown sugars, flour,oats and salt. Use two knives, a pastry blender, or your fingers to mix the ingredients until crumbly . If you’re making the streusel ahead of time, cover and refrigerate it until you’re ready to proceed with the recipe.

Make the cake:

  

Lightly whisk the eggs, butter, and vanilla together.

 

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl with high sides. Make a well in the center.
Pour the wet mixture into the well, then add the sour cream by evenly distributing large spoonfuls around the edges of the dry ingredients. Gently mix the batter, using a large spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Use big, slow, circular strokes that scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with each motion. Don’t worry if the batter appears slightly lumpy, or if there are streaks of sour cream. The delicate texture of this batter is achieved through minimal mixing. (Some small patches of flour may still be visible; this is okay, as they’ll be absorbed during the baking process.) Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

  

 Distribute the fruit in an even layer over the batter, then sprinkle evenly with the streusel. Bake for 35- 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time. The streusel should be crunchy and brown, and a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.
Serve the coffee cake straight from the oven with plenty of fresh, piping hot coffee.

  

Berry Coffee Cake: Easy, and delicious cake to start your day!

6 comments:

  1. I must try this in one of this day. Thanks for kind sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I know how to bake! I would love to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love ur blog soooo much! all the desserts are yummy looking. thanks for sharing this :)

    i have added you into my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I just want to say I love your blog! I've bookmarked it so that I can easily access it when I want to. ;)

    This may be a stupid question, but I don't see coffee at all in the ingredients, despite the name of the cake - why is that? Lol.

    - Fai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Fai
    The name coffee cake is the kind of the cake (or quick bread) that usually serve with coffee or tea, it's one kind of cake and doesn't mean that it will have a coffee in it ^ ^.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Now I know that it was indeed a stupid question, hehe. ^_^" Thanks for answering my question though, I learnt something new. I want to try this recipe out soon. If I do I'll let you know how it went.

    - Fai

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...