Monday, July 27, 2009

July 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge #32: Mallows(Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies)

I think about skipping this challenge, well, not because I don't want to make it, but I have a lot of work in a last few days. Anyway, I really want to try it!

So, I just made each step in each day (and I can manage my time), I made the cookies in day one and made the marshmallow and the glaze in the next day, then I just finished in time ^ ^.
I have a problem about the yield of the recipe, I got a lot (I mean really "LOT" about 150 pieces), did I do anything wrong?

And for the marshmallow, I had to add more water in the gelatin more than 2 tbsp, I use 3 tbsp and I don't know is it the cause of the problem that my marshmallow is quite soft (I couldn't beat it to stiff peak).

Anyway, it's very interesting to make this recipe, I had a chance to make the marshmallow, which I really want to make it a long time ago, ^ ^. So, I have to thank you Nicole, I had a good time making the marshmallow.
The finished cookie is good, esp. if you love chocolate and marshmallow!

The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

Mallows(Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies)
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand, from Food Network website

Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Serves: about 2 dozen cookies (I got about 150 pieces!)

• 3 cups (375grams/13.23oz) all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup (112.5grams/3.97oz) white sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 12 tablespoons (170grams/ 6 oz) unsalted butter
• 3 eggs, whisked together
• Homemade marshmallows, recipe follows
• Chocolate glaze, recipe follows


1. In a mixer with the paddle attachment, blend the dry ingredients.
2. On low speed, add the butter and mix until sandy.


3. Add the eggs and mix until combine.
4. Form the dough into a disk, wrap with clingfilm or parchment and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.

5. When ready to bake, grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness, on a lightly floured surface (I use 2 pieces of parchment paper, it's easier- dailydelicious). Use a 1 to 1 1/2 inches cookie cutter to cut out small rounds of dough.

8. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes (I use 12 minutes - dailydelicious) or until light golden brown. Let cool to room temperature.

Homemade marshmallows:

• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup light corn syrup
• 3/4 cup (168.76 grams/5.95oz) sugar
• 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
• 2 tablespoons cold water (I used 3 tbsp - dailydelicious)
• 2 egg whites , room temperature
• 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let dissolve.

2. In a saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup, and sugar, bring to a boil until “soft-ball” stage, or 235 degrees on a candy thermometer.
3. Remove the syrup from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix.
4. Whip the whites until soft peaks form and pour the syrup into the whites.
5. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff.
6. Transfer to a pastry bag.
7. Pipe a “kiss” of marshmallow onto each cookie. Let set at room temperature for 2 hours.

Chocolate glaze:
• 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
• 2 ounces cocoa butter or vegetable oil


Melt the 2 ingredients together in the top of a double boiler or a bowl set over barely simmering water.

1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or silicon mat.
2. One at a time, gently drop the marshmallow-topped cookies into the hot chocolate glaze.
3. Lift out with a fork and let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl.

4. Place on the prepared pan and let set at room temperature until the coating is firm, about 1 to 2 hours.

July 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge #32:

Mallows(Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pook,
    I have been a constant follower of your blog. I love your pictures and your recipe, overall a great blog. So I am passing an award to you. So can you please kindly go to my blog for more details? Thanks and have a great day.
    http://honeybeesweets88.blogspot.com/2009/07/rewarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa amazing! the glaze is so shiny! you must have tampered it well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!
    I will definitly try that recipe. It seems like a Russian dessert called Zefir. They are like Marshmellows but its not chewy, its soft and airy.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...